The Principles of Management module seeks to provide students with the skills necessary for an entrepreneur or senior executive within an SME to understand the role of management and to master effective management skills to lead the SME organisation.
The Principles of Management is an EQF/MQF Level 7 course accredited with 8 ECTS credits. The Principles of Management course seeks to provide students with the skills necessary for an entrepreneur or senior executive within an SME to understand the role of management and to master effective management skills to lead the SME organisation. This course is a module which forms part of the Masters in Entrepreneurship Programme. The duration of the course is 6 weeks and delivered fully online.
The course focuses on the four core functions of management and how these can be developed and customised to be as sophisticated or complex as the organisation in which they are to be used. It seeks to identify best practice and provide an overview of current management practices within SME organisations. The course enables students to critically review such practices enabling them to adopt, adapt and apply such practices within a particular SME organisation.
The focus throughout the programme is the importance of developing a culture of management in an SME organisation that is based on respect. Respect can only be earned where the focus is on building credibility and integrity through consistent and fair management behaviour.
Knowledge at the end of the module:
- Describe the complex and interrelated nature of management functions and practice.
- Identify the elements of a control system and how they affect the setup of organisational processes.
- Describe how the organisation function is responsible for the alignment of the interrelationships between the planning, leading and control function impact organisational effectiveness.
- Describe the various Leadership theories and their causal links between leadership, motivation and performance.
- Identify the need for a SWOT analysis in the dynamics of Strategy formulation and its interdependency with the Organisational Goals.
- Define the elements of behaviour, culture, values, norms and their effect on structure.
- Describe the concept of the Learning Organisation and how the five disciplines contribute to the organisation’s competitive advantage.
- Identify how effective human resource.
Programme: Principles of Management
EQF/MQF: Level 7
Credits: 8 ECTS
Delivery & Duration: Online – 6 weeks
National & EU Accreditation by: NCFHE
Scholarship & Grant Incentives: Get Qualified & Training Pays Scheme